Creed Takes WWT Truck Crown
(MADISON, IL - AUG 30, 2020 - RIS) Sheldon Creed swept around Sam Mayer on a late restart to take his third 2020 victory and a bonus of $100,000 in the CarShield 200 Presented by CK Power at World Wide Technology Raceway.
Zane Smith started from the pole and opened a lead of over a quarter second in just the first lap with Brett Moffitt and Austin Hill holding onto their starting positions for the first few laps until Todd Gilliland moved around Hill into third place. Gilliland moved into second place, with the gap from Smith to second steadily growing by a few thousandths of a second almost every lap until Gilliland started to close the gap slowly.
Johnny Sauter's truck was the first to withdraw, the truck suffering from a broken bell housing. By the 40th lap, Gilliland had closed to within just over a half second, followed by Brett Moffitt, Matt Crafton and Christian Eckes. By the ten laps to run in the first stage, Gilliland drove around Smith for the race lead and immediately opened up a gap of over two tenths of a second.
Gilliland won the stage for the playoff points, followed by Smith, Moffitt, Eckes and Crafton. A different pit stop procedure for this race allowed teams three minutes in the pits, with the trucks resuming the running order they were in before the end of the stage until time to choose top or bottom lane for the restart. Gilliland chose the outside and Smith started to his left, with Gilliland moving to the front with two and three-wide racing back in the pack.
Chandler Smith spun in his No. 51 Toyota, bouncing off the Turn Two wall after he got loose while being passed by Ben Rhodes. Smith drove back to the pits where the crew used one of the most important tools on the truck: a baseball bat, on the dented sheet metal.
Again, Gilliland opted for the outside lane and Christian Eckes followed him around Zane Smith to take second place. Gilliland held on to take the second stage by almost two seconds over Eckes with Smith, Mayer and Creed following him across the line to start the final stage of the race.
Eckes made the inside kine wor at the restart with Gilliland fighting back into the lead after a couple of laps, with Sheldon Creed following Gilliland around and into second place. Sam Mayer drove to the inside ad Eckes brushed the wall after losing pressure in the left front tire. No caution resulted and then Sheldon Creed and Todd Gilliland came together, sending Gilliland slipping into the wall and into a fade back in the field. Eckes drove to the garage with the damage to his truck and Gilliland pitted for tires and to get a fender pulled off the right rear tire. While he was in the pits, Jennifer Jo Cobb slammed into the wall while Gilliland sat in the pits, making the caution just two laps too late to help the No. 38 truck's fortunes. During the caution, Eckes reported that he broke the driveshaft on his No. 18 Toyota.
Creed on the inside at the restart had Sam Mayer drive around on the outside and into the lead with Carson Hocevar slowing down the back straight and out of the top ten. Hocevar got back up to speed and Mayer opened a lead of over a second ahead of Creed before Austin Wayne Self slammed into the wall in the first turn after contact with Hocevar, putting the race back under caution with 17 laps remaining.
Mayer outside and Creed inside with 13 to go and Creed got a great jump on the restart, hauling Brett Moffitt and a resurgent Austin Hill with him in the top three positions as Mayer dropped to fourth, pursued by Zane Smith. Hill tried to pressure Moffitt into a mistake on the last few laps but fell short, allowing Creed to take the win, followed by Moffitt and Hill. Sam Mayer held on for fourth, followed by Stewart Friesen. The win is Creed's second in the 'Triple Truck Challenge' bonus series of three races, joining the road course win at Daytona and giving him a bonus of $100,000 for the win, his third of the 2020 season.
"He just drove in there over his head and it got us, but that's racing" sighed Gilliland after the race when asked about the contact with Creed. "We needed those points. "I want to start with apologizing to the 38, Creed said immediately after the race. "It's so hard to pass here and I got the opportunity to get to his inside and was really loose getting in. He was pretty close to my door and they were having such a good day... hate to do that to him. He owes me one."
Brett Moffitt lamented: "we weren't all that good, we were just in the right place at the right time. I think the potential is there for us to get on a streak at any point now."
"I was just trying to play games on the restart and it didn't work out in my favor, obviously because we were like fourth heading off into one," commented Mayer. "That's what I get for playing games, I was a sitting duck."
Unofficial Results: CarShield 200 Presented by CK Power: World Wide Technology Raceway at Gateway
Fin, Str, Driver, Truck, Laps, St1, St2, Tms Led, Laps Led, Playoff Pts, Pts, Status
1) 17, Sheldon Creed, No. 2 Chevy Accessories Chevrolet, 160, 8, 5, 2, 15, 5, 49, Running
2) 2, Brett Moffitt, No. 23 Destiny Homes Chevrolet, 160, 3, 6, , , , 48, Running
3) 4, Austin Hill, No. 16 United Rentals Toyota, 160, , , , , , 34, Running
4) 15, Sam Mayer, No. 24 QPS Employment Group Chevrolet, 160, 6, 4, 2, 24, , 45, Running
5) 13, Stewart Friesen, No. 52 Halmar Racing To Beat Hunger Toyota, 160, , 10, , , , 33, Running
6) 19, Raphael Lessard #, No. 4 SiriusXM Toyota, 160, , 9, , , , 33, Running
7) 1, Zane Smith #, No. 21 LaPaz Margarita Mix Chevrolet, 160, 2, 3, 1, 45, , 47, Running
8) 11, Grant Enfinger, No. 98 Farm Paint Ford, 160, , , , , , 29, Running
9) 18, Ty Majeski #, No. 45 Chevrolet Accessories Chevrolet, 160, 9, , , , , 30, Running
10) 14, Tanner Gray #, No. 15 Ford/Ford Performance Ford, 160, , , , , , 27, Running
11) 5, Ben Rhodes, No. 99 Tenda Ford, 160, 7, 8, , , , 33, Running
12) 8, Tyler Ankrum, No. 26 LiUNA! Chevrolet, 160, 10, 7, , , , 30, Running
13) 10, Derek Kraus #, No. 19 Gates Hydraulics/NAPA Belts & Hoses Toyota, 160, , , , , , 24, Running
14) 3, Matt Crafton, No. 88 Slim Jim/Menards Ford, 160, 5, , , , , 29, Running
15) 16, Carson Hocevar, No. 40 Scott's Chevrolet, 160, , , , , , 22, Running
16) 29, Danny Bohn, No. 30 North American Motor Car Toyota, 160, , , , , , 21, Running
17) 21, Jordan Anderson, No. 3 Bommarito Automotive Group Chevrolet, 160, , , , , , 20, Running
18) 22, Tate Fogleman #, No. 02 Solid Rock Carriers Chevrolet, 160, , , , , , 19, Running
19) 25, Clay Greenfield, No. 68 Rackley Roofing Toyota, 160, , , , , , 18, Running
20) 31, Kyle Donahue, No. 00 Toyota, 160, , , , , , 17, Running
21) 30, Tyler Hill, No. 56 HairClub Chevrolet, 159, , , , , , 16, Running
22) 6, Todd Gilliland, No. 38 Crosley Brands Ford, 158, 1, 1, 1, 76, 2, 35, Running
23) 24, Dawson Cram, No. 41 Chevrolet, 158, , , , , , 14, Running
24) 12, Chandler Smith, No. 51 JBL Toyota, 157, , , , , , 13, Running
25) 23, Spencer Boyd, No. 20 Hans Wiemann Chevrolet, 157, , , , , , 12, Running
26) 26, Bryant Barnhill, No. 33 Crowe Equipment Toyota, 156, , , , , , 11, Running
27) 33, Roger Reuse, No. 49 WCIPARTS.com Chevrolet, 151, , , , , , 10, Running
28) 28, Natalie Decker, No. 44 N29 Capital Partners LLC Chevrolet, 150, , , , , , 9, Running
29) 32, Norm Benning, No. 6 H&H Transport Chevrolet, 148, , , , , , 8, Running
30) 20, Austin Wayne Self, No. 22 GOTEXAN/AM Technical Solutions Chevrolet, 145, , , , , , 7, DVP
31) 27, Jennifer Jo Cobb, No. 10 Fastener Supply Company Chevrolet, 124, , , , , , 6, Accident
32) 7, Christian Eckes #, No. 18 Safelite AutoGlass Toyota, 121, 4, 2, , , , 21, Driveshaft
33) 9, Johnny Sauter, No. 13 Vivitar Ford, 22, , , , , , 5, Vibration
(i) Ineligible for driver points in this series, (#) Rookie
Race Length: 160 Laps, 200 miles
Time of Race: 2 hr, 0 min, 23 sec
Average Speed: 99.682 mph
Margin of Victory: 0.881 sec
Stage 1 Top 10: 38, 21, 23, 18, 88, 24, 99, 2, 45, 26
Stage 2 Top 10: 38, 18, 21, 24, 2, 23, 26, 99, 4, 52
Race Comments: Sheldon Creed won the CarShield 200 Presented by CK Power at World Wide Technology Raceway at Gateway, his third victory in the NASCAR Gander RV & Outdoors Truck Series.
Caution Flags: 5 for 23 laps;
Laps: 57-61 (Stage 1 Conclusion );
79-82 (No. 51, 99 Incident Turn 2 );
112-116 (Stage 2 Conclusion );
128-132 (No. 10 Incident Turn 2 );
144-147 (No. 22, 40 Incident Turn 2 ).
Lead Changes: 5 among 4 drivers;
Z. Smith # 1-45;
T. Gilliland 46-121;
S. Mayer 122-131;
S. Creed 132;
S. Mayer 133-146;
S. Creed 147-160.
Cometic Gasket Pole Award: Zane Smith, No. 21
Mobil 1 Driver of the Race: Sheldon Creed, No. 2
Sunoco Rookie of the Race: Raphael Lessard, No. 4
Long-time RIS staffer, beginning in the mid-80s. Charlotte, NC area local contact.