Global Rallycross Highlights Busy Charlotte Motor Speedway Weekend
Second Week of Charlotte Motor Speedway's Autumn Full of Action
(CONCORD, NC – SEPT 20, 2013) With the Carlyle Tools NHRA Carolina Nationals now in our rear view mirrors, Charlotte Motor Speedway is prepared for a busy weekend of the AutoFair car show, Global Rallycross competition on the Dirt Track Sunday and Doug Herbert's B.R.A.K.E.S. proactive teen safe driving school all taking place around the property.
AutoFair opened Thursday with exhibitors joining a celebration of the Corvette's 60th anniversary with the new C7 Corvette pace car on display, plus the prototype of the Mercier-Jones hovercraft and the Local Motors Rally Fighter shown. Sunday evening brings the dirt and pavement excitement of Global Rallycross racing to the Dirt Track at Charlotte.
AutoFair is more than just cars: along with this year's Corvette celebration is the Stingray Café's collection of 'Vette themed foods:
- Stingray Burger – Two 1/3-pound patties smothered with American cheese, topped with crispy bacon, fried jalapenos and “antifreeze/coolant” sauce (green goddess salad dressing)
- Corvette Club – Traditional club sandwich with ham, turkey, bacon, lettuce, tomato, cheddar and provolone cheese, served with herb aioli on Texas toast
- Oil Change Fries– Shoestring French fries covered in caramelized onions and brown gravy
- The ZR-1 – Fried zucchini sticks with spicy ranch dipping sauce
- Brake Rotors – Beer battered onion rings with spicy ranch dipping sauce
- Transmission Fluid – Cherry limeade in a souvenir Charlotte Motor Speedway cup
- Antifreeze/Coolant – Limeade in a souvenir Charlotte Motor Speedway cup
Food isn't the only attraction at AutoFair: the stars of Discovery Channel's "Moonshiners" will participate in an autograph session Friday afternoon and again Saturday. They're not the only link to 'shine at the track, as southern stock car racing's origins in driving moonshine from the still to the customers make up a display.
Local chainsaw artist Ron Knight will be creating some of his sculptures during the weekend.
Several Global Rallycross drivers will sign autographs in the Showcase Pavilion Saturday, Sept. 21 before they take to the Dirt Track at Charlotte on Sunday, Sept. 22. Fans can meet Ken Block, Patrik Sandell, Stephan Verdier from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m.; Scott Speed, Bucky Lasek and Sverre Isachsen from 1 to 2 p.m.; and Toomas Heikkinen and Pat Moro from 2 to 3 p.m.
Collector Car Auction: Dozens of collector cars will be auctioned off on the speedway’s concourse from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 21 by the Dealer Auctions Inc. group. One of the collector cars available for auction is a Ferrari Red 1981 DMC Delorean, a model made famous by the film “Back to the Future.”
BMX Bikers: King BMX bikers will perform in the Play Zone on Friday, Sept. 20 and Saturday, Sept. 21. See their jumps and tricks at 12 p.m., 2 p.m. and 4 p.m.
50th Anniversary of the Lamborghini: The Showcase Pavilion will play host to the 50th anniversary celebration of the Lamborghini. Vehicles in this exhibit will include a 2005 Murcielago, a 2013 Gallardo and a 2013 Gallardo LP 570-4 Super Trofeo racing machine.
All this, plus the hundreds of collector cars and specialty vendors will crowd the grounds of Charlotte Motor Speedway this weekend, capped by the high flying action of the Global Rallycross on Sunday afternoon at the Dirt Track.
Long-time RIS staffer, beginning in the mid-80s. Charlotte, NC area local contact.